On the 5th of February, Kolkata took its first step to becoming India’s first fully WiFi enabled city. Reliance Jio, with the West Bengal government, launched the free WiFi for the general public in the Park Street area. Kolkata Bloggers was invited to be part of the ceremonious launch, and a delegation of fourteen members, including twelve bloggers, were present on behalf of Kolkata Bloggers at the event.
The Kolkata Bloggers team enjoyed a unique privilege – 10 devices belonging to our bloggers were allowed access to the WiFi over an hour before it was made open to the general public. As a sizable audience grew in front of the makeshift stage at Park Street, our team thus became the very first users of the technology that would potentially transform the city.
The event was inaugurated by the honorable mayor Shovan Â Chatterjee. Following him, Mr. Subrata Mukherjee hailed the “digital age” that the city was stepping into. From Reliance, Mr. Tarun Jhunjhunwala spoke about the 4G WiFi that the public could access. The honorable Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee then took the stage. She spoke about how optical fibres had been laid for two years. She thanked Reliance for equipping the city with WiFi technology, and then in a historic moment, posted her very first tweet using the Reliance Jio WiFi.
Kolkata’s singing sensation Anupam Roy entertained the audience with a couple of his famous hits, before Dr. Amit Mitra delivered the note of thanks, marking the end of the day’s events. Soon after this, a speed test was conducted, and then the WiFi was made ‘open’ for the general public of Park Street.
How to Connect to the Reliance Jio WiFi
To view a step-by-step screenshot based tutorial on this topic, click here.
- Turn your WiFi “On” and search for available networks.
- You will see either “Jio” or “Jionet” as one of the signals available. Select it.
- A tab will open automatically, asking you to enter your phone number. This is a one-time authentication process. If the tab does not open automatically, it will appear as soon as you open any browser window.
- As soon as you submit your phone number, you will receive a text message with your six-digit password.
- Enter the password on the Jio tab, and tick the box agreeing to Terms and Conditions.
- You are now granted access to use the free WiFi. Do not close the Jio tab. Closing it would disconnect you immediately.
- Every time you use the WiFi, your password will be the same. So save it carefully.
1. How long can one access the free WiFi?
The WiFi available in Park Street can be used for an indefinite amount of time without any cost, for now. In subsequent months, this facility will be available at other areas of the city as well. Later, there may be a restriction imposed as far as time or data usage is concerned.Â
2. Will the speed remain good when a number of people are logged in?
Rajya Sabha MP Derek O’Brien informed Kolkata Bloggers that there were 230 routing machines installed in the Park Street area itself, with each router capable of supporting 40 devices without a drop in speed. So, the Park Street WiFi can support as many as 9200 devices at any given period of time without the speed being affected.
This WiFi launch was undeniably a big moment for the digital realm of Kolkata, and Kolkata Bloggers was happy to be a part of it.