BEST ARTS COLLEGES IN KOLKATA
Students who have graduated with the Arts degree they say thatmany windows automatically open for them to carry on after college. After getting a Bachelor of Arts degree lot of new opportunities comes on their way which they might not get if they study commerce or science. Some of the best professions they can choose after a BA degree are to be become a school teacher or a college professor, media person, writer, editor, journalist, historian, anthropologist, social worker, sociologist, economist, markets analyst, psychologist, counsellor and many more. The main point is salary in all these fields are almost the same if any one comes with a doctor or an engineer or a businessman. It is no longer true that girls take up BA degree and not boys. These days even boys prefer to do an honours degree in this stream.
This article has got the names of the best BA colleges present in Kolkata. Some of the best professors teach in these colleges.
- Jadavpur university or JU:initially it was a state level university named as the Bengal Technical Institute and later in 1955 it was converted into Jadavpur University. Right now, it has got 2 campus one is the old campus which is in Jadavpur and the new one is in Salt Lake. Courses offered for a BA degree are: English, Bengali, Economics, History, Education, Comparative Literature, Library and Information Science, Philosophy, International Relationship, Sanskrit And Physical Education. This 3-years course is divided into 2 semester per year. Getting through the English department is done on eligibility test. This department has only 50 seats but every year thousands of students try for it. For other department admission happens through merit list. Since it is a university and they provide the facility of Master Degree, MPhil, and PhD programs hence the rush is too much. JU is proud of its library system. This library is comprised of the Central Library and 36 departmental libraries under each department like for arts, engineering, technology and science. The Salt Lake campus also has its own library. It has been credited with an ‘A’ by the NAAC.
Address: 1, 12, CIT Rd, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700054
Chancellor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
Vice Chancellor: Suranjan Das
- Presidency University:this is one of the prestigious colleges of Kolkata. Previously it was known as the Presidency College but later in 2010 it got the status of the university. It was established in 1817 and this old institution have got no religious connection at all. Now the examination happens in semester wise but admission takes place only through an entrance examination. Candidates can sit for admission test for any subjects of their choice, they can sit for more than one subject also. Arts courses offer here are Bengali, English, History, Performing Arts, Political Science and Hindi. It is said that the English department is the oldest one but in its University avatar it is still in the formative stage but the class room teaching and the chemistry between the professors and students still remain the same. Sometimes audio and visual aids and techniques are used during the class hours for teaching. The students of this department take parts in various debates, drama performances, quizzes happening during the session. One of the new departments is the Performing Arts which was launched in 2016 but they do have BA, MA and PHD courses. Amartya Sen and Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee were ex-students from this college. The list is actual long to name the eminent personalities graduating from this college. Every student passing from the Presidency University is successful in their professional life. Once they make a seat secure in this college no one needs to look back or think what to do after college gets over.
Address: 86, 1, College St, Calcutta University, College Square, Kolkata, West Bengal 700073
Call On: 033 40529999
- Rabindra Bharati University or RBU:it was established in the year 1962 to honour the birth centenary of Rabindranath Tagore as because he was the first Asian to receive the Nobel Prize. This state university is dedicated to the ideas, mission and thoughts of this great man through humanities, art, culture and social sciences. The arts courses offered here are Bengali, Adult and Continuing Education, Women Studies, Sociology, Santali Language, Literature and Culture, Sanskrit, Political Science, Philosophy, MSW, Library and Information Science, Human Rights and Human Development, Human Development Studies, History, Hindi, Geography, Environmental Studies, English, Education, Comparative Literature and Economics. Among these subjects of the Arts department some offer PHD, M.Phil., D.Litt. programs all so. Some of the departments which RBU offers is not present in any other colleges of Kolkata. There is a central library and department libraires also. RBU has 5 hostels among which 2 are for boys and 3 for girls. Students from Bangladesh also come and take admission in this university.
Address: Dwarakanath, No 6/4, PK Tagore St, Raja Katra, Singhi Bagan, Jorasanko, Kolkata, West Bengal 700007
- Lady Brabourne College:it was founded in the year 1939 by the Government of Bengal and it was named after the wife of Lord Brabourne. Initially it started with 35 Muslim girls and 9 faculty members. Slowly it turned into multi-cultural institution for girls. Bachelor of Arts degree is offered for subjects like Bengali, English, Hindi, History, Persian, Urdu, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology, Women’s Studies and Library Department. This college is expanding every year for its excellent academic environment. First NAAC had given an ‘A’ in the year 2006 again it was re-accredited in 2014. For some of the department’s admission is done through merit list and for English candidates need to sit for an entrance exam. Departments like Political Science, Bengali and English has got MA program also. The PG courses are for 2 years and it starts from July and ends by June. Every year students from the BA course does good result. The college has the best set of professors who are strict and friendly also.
Principal: Siuli Sarkar
Address: P1/2, Suhrawardy Ave, Beniapukur, Kolkata, West Bengal 700017
- Bethune College:this girl’s college was actually founded by Calcutta Female School in the year 1849 by John Elliot Drinkwater Bethune and financially it was supported by Dakshinaranjan Mukherjee. For Bachelor of Arts (Honours Degree) subjects offered are Sanskrit, Psychology, Political Science, Philosophy, History, Hindi, English and Bengali. They also have Women Studies but it offers only general degree. English and Bengali department has got PG degree program as well. The library for the Arts department is of 4900 sq. ft. The Bengali Department started its journey in 1879. Right now, this stream has 6 Assistant Professors and 4 Associate Professors and all of them are fulltime teachers. For the past few years some of the students from the Arts departments have cracked the NET (National Eligibility Test) for lectureship in colleges.Bethune College has a Students’ Aid fund which helps financial support to the students who are needy so that they can continue with their studies and not leave them midway.
Principal: Prof Krishna Roy
Address: 181, Bidhan Sarani, Manicktala, Azad Hind Bag, Kolkata, West Bengal 700006
- St Xavier’s College: it is said that students who does really well for the High Secondary examination they get through this college. Admission is done through merit list but the bar is really high. Not only from Kolkata but students throughout West Bengal applies for this college but only very few can make through it. For Bachelor of Arts honours degree, the subjects offered are English, Bengali, Political Science, Sociology and History. For BA general degree the subjects are Communicative English, Journalism, Film Studies and Hindi. The academic performance of the students belonging to the BA departments has been really good and maximum of them secure a first class in their final exam. After it turned into an autonomous college the course syllabus is upgraded so that the students can research on it or continue further studies with the subject. The under graduate program is for 3 years but it is divided into 6 semesters. St Xavier’s College has its own placement cell which helps the students to showcase their own talent and seek a job in any corporate house and BA students can also take part in it. it is seen that students from these departments got a job with annual CTC ranging from Rs 3 lakhs to Rs 20.5 lakhs. The placement cell also helps the students with any kind of queries if they have regarding the companies or the placement procedures. The final year students stay really excited with the placement starts.
Address: 8, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Rd, Esplanade, Dharmatala, Taltala, Kolkata, West Bengal 700013
- Loreto College: the Loreto College of Kolkata was founded in the year 1912 by IBVM (Institute of the Blessed Virgin Mary). This catholic college is accredited ‘A’ by the NAAC and it was awarded as the College of Potential for Excellence by the UGC. Loreto College offers Bachelors of Arts Honours courses in subjects like Psychology, Political Science, History, Education and English (same like other colleges affiliated under the University of Calcutta). A girl candidate wanting to apply for a BA honours course should choose one main subject and two general subjects. The honours, general and elective subjects cannot be the same. Under this BA program there are subjects like Film Studies, Human Rights, Journalism and Mass Communication. Environmental studies are compulsory for all only at the 3rd year level. Loreto has its own Placement Cell and it was started from the year 2012 and it has grown steadily over the years. This cell provides an opportunity to all the girls who want to start earning after their graduation. Even after they passed out a databased is maintained so if any information regarding job is available, they update the girls. Some of the reputed companies present in the city like Wipro, HSBC bank, TCS, ITC, CTS, PWC, Jet Airways and many more come for hiring the girls. Maximum girls crack the interview, in fact few get multiple job offer as well.
Address: 7 Sir William Jones Sarani (formerly, Sir William Jones Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071
Call on: 033 22640952
- Shri Shikshayatan College: this girl’s college is really very strict with its rules and regulations. Girls are not allowed to use mobile phones in the campus. It has got maximum lady professor. BA honours department has subjects like Bengali, Hindi, English, History, Journalism and Mass Communication, Education, Political Science and Philosophy.Same focus and importance are given to the general students, so that they do not feel left out. The BA department arranges parent teacher meeting whenever required. Teachers give special focus to the students who are not doing well in the class. Special classes are taken for them. Even the teachers share their personal cell number also in the class. The English department has started with their MA course. It is said that the students of this college do really well in their university exam and few even secure a rank. Apart from academics there are various program happening in the college throughout the year. The college encourage the students to participate in them. Girls of this particular college is really talented and they work hard to achieve their goals. The annual function which is known as ‘Srijan’ is one of the happening cultural program which the girls organise.
Address: 11, Lord Sinha Road, Elgin, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071
Principal: Dr (Smt) Aditi Dey
It is absolutely incorrect that the Arts stream is meant only for girls or for students who are not good in academic. In actual fact only from the Arts group people can shift to different profession and be successful in it. the colleges mentioned in this write up is the best colleges of Kolkata and getting a seat here is not at all easy. Students need to score really good marks to get admission. So, from now start studying and secure your future.