BEST COLLEGES IN KOLKATA
People say it is important to go to a good school, somewhat they are correct but getting admission in a good college makes or breaks a career. Students who make good marks every year wants to get through the best college. A Bachelor’s degree from college will open new opportunity for every person as it will contribute to his or her intellectual and social growth. Therefore, it becomes really necessary to choose the college wisely. Kolkata has the best colleges when compared with rest of India.
Here is the list of best colleges in the city: –
- St Xavier’s College: in the year 2006 this was the first college in West Bengal which became autonomous. In 2020 according to the National Institutional Ranking Framework it is the 7th best college in India. It has got morning section for Commerce department and this is meant only for the boys. The Day section has the science and the arts department. Subjects offered here for Honoursdegree are English, Political Science, Bengali, Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Mass Communication and Videography, Animation and Multimedia, Computer Science, Microbiology and Sociology. This is the first college in Kolkata which has a tie-up with University of Manitoba, Canada. People who get more than 90% gets through this college and this is through merit list. Eminent personalities Lakshmi Mittal, Vijay Mallya, Sourav Gangulyand many more were the ex-students of this colleges. The department of Bengali was started in the 2012 to pay a tribute to Rabindranath Tagore on his 150th birth centenary. The central library is spacious and has a seating capacity of 250 users. Students can take 4 books at a time and only for 14 days.
Address: 8, Rafi Ahmed Kidwai Rd, Esplanade, Dharmatala, Taltala, Kolkata, West Bengal 700013
- Indian Statistical Institute: The headquarters is in Baranagar but it has colleges in Delhi, Chennai, Tezpur and Bangalore. There are only 2 undergraduate courses taught here, they are Bachelor of Mathematics, Honours (B. Math) and Bachelor of Statistics, Honours (B. Stat) rest they have Master degree programmes. Getting chance in ISI is not a matter of joke, literally a student has to work hard to get through. Prospective students have to go through written papers and interviews. The undergraduate courses here is for 3 years and each academic year is divided into 2 semesters. In order to get a B Stat or a B Maths degree from the ISI the student needs to have Maths and English as their subjects for High Secondary Examination. Separatehostel facility is available for both girls and boys.
Established in the year: 17th December, 1931
Director: Sanghamitra Bandyopadhyay
Address: Plot No, 203, Barrackpore Trunk Rd, Dunlop, Bonhooghly Government Colony, Baranagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700108
Call On: 033 25752500
- Presidency University: initially it was known as the Hindu College and then Presidency College. Later in the year 2010 it got the status of University. Since the very beginning it was affiliated to the University of Calcutta. Nobel prize winners Amartya Sen and Abhijit Vinayak Banerjee were ex-students of this college. Apart from them Satyajit Ray, Jagdish Chandra Bose, Rajendra Prasad, Michael Madhusudan Dutt, Swami Vivekananda, Subhas Chandra Bose and many more were notable alumni. Total 16 departments are there in this university. They are: Statistics, Physics, Mathematics, Geology, Geography, Economics, Chemistry, Life Sciences, Sociology, Political Science, Philosophy, Performing Arts, History, Hindi, English and Bengali. Admission to this university for a graduation course is done by entrance examination only. Every year students of West Bengal fill up the admission form to get through this prestigious college but only very few can make through it. Entering the gates of this college is a status by itself.
Address: 86, 1, College St, Calcutta University, College Square, Kolkata, West Bengal 700073
Call on: 033 40529999
- Lady Brabourne College:LBC is one of the best colleges for girls in Kolkata. This college is affiliated to the University of Calcutta. The college was founded with a mission to educate the poor Muslim girls of Park Circus area, later Hindu students got permission to this college because of very less students.Subjects taught her for graduations are English, Geography, Bengali, Zoology, Microbiology, Botany, Chemistry, Physics, Sociology, Political Science, Philosophy, History, Persian, Urdu, Sanskrit and Hindi.For few subjects there is entrance examination taken, through which only the best lot get admitted. Apart from academics the girls take part in various extra curriculum activities and the girls of this college is really talented. In the year 2017 LBC got the permission of starting PHD facility.
Established in the year: 1939
Principal: Siuli Sarkar
Address: P1/2, Suhrawardy Ave, Beniapukur, Kolkata, West Bengal 700017
- Bethune College: this is one of the oldest girls’ college in Kolkata. Initially in the year 1849 it was established as a girl’s school and later in 1879 the college started. Departments in this college are English, Bengali, Hindi, Mathematics, Botany, Computer Science, Chemistry, Economics, History, Zoology, Political Science, Sanskrit And Philosophy. They do have PG degree course but for subjects like Botany, Bengali, English, Mathematics, applied psychology and Zoology. English and Sanskrit were the first department that started in this college in the year 1917. Throughout the year various functions take place apart from the academics. Every year students from the Bethune College tops the university exam and they are awarded by prizes. In 2015 NAAC has given this college ‘A’.
Principal: Prof. Krishna Roy
Address: 181, Bidhan Sarani, Manicktala, Azad Hind Bag, Kolkata, West Bengal 700006
- Loreto College:this catholic girl’s college is affiliated to the Calcutta University. It has got an ‘A’ from the NAAC. BA Honours degree is given for subjects like English, Education, History, Political Science and Psychology and for BSC the subjects are Geography, Psychology and Economics. This is a strict college where the faculty focuses on the student’s disciple, punctuality and so on. They even started their B. Ed program. PG is available only for English. Admission to the Loreto College is based on merit list. For application procedure kindly log into their official website. In 2020 the college has been ranked as the 75th best college in India.
Established in the year: 1912
Principal: Sister Christine Coutinho
Address: 7 Sir William Jones Sarani, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071
Call On: 033 22640952
- Asutosh College:Science departments of Asutosh College are the Bio-Chemistry, Chemistry, Economics, Geography, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, Environmental Science, botany, Computer Science, Electronics, Geology, Microbiology, Psychology, Zoology and Industrial Fish and Fisheries. All these science departments have their own labs and library. For the Arts they have departments like the Bengali, English, Hindi, History, Journalism and Mass Communication, Philosophy, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology and Communicative English. They also have BBA department. They have nearly 4000 students in this college. Back in 2013 they added few more courses like Hospital waste disposal management, Travel and Tourism and Industrial Chemistry. It is located at the heart of the city from so commuting for students are very easy.
Principal: Dr Dipak Kumar Kar
Established in the year: 1916
Address: 92, Shyama Prasad Mukherjee Rd, Jatin Das Park, Patuapara, Bhowanipore, Kolkata, West Bengal 700026
Call On: 033 24554504
- Scottish Church College:this co-ed college is one of the oldest colleges in the city which is run by the Christians. It is also rated as an ‘A’ by the NAAC. The BA degree is given to the subjects like Sanskrit, Political Science, Philosophy, History, English and Bengali and B Sc degree courses are for the subjects like Zoology, Physics, Microbiology, Mathematics, Economics, Computer Science, Chemistry and Botany. They also have a BBA department and a Commerce department. Students can try for B. Ed course here as well. The college has got 5seperate hostels within the city. Throughout an academic year, various seminars take place which benefits the college students a lot. Boys and girls also participate in inter college fests every year and win lot of prizes, it can be said that the students are really talented.
Principal: Dr Arpita Mukerji
Address: 1 & 3, Urquhart Square, Manicktala, Azad Hind Bag, Kolkata, West Bengal 700006
Call On: 033 23503862
- Shri Shikshayatan College: the best department in this college is the Commerce. Apart from that the Arts department offers subjects like Philosophy, Political Science, Education, History, English, Journalism and Mass Communication, Hindi and Bengali. For B. Sc they have departments like Geography, Botany, Mathematics and Economics. They also have BBA department. Few years back MA in English and M. Com has started. The faculty of each department is really strong. Students are not allowed to use mobile phones within the school campus. Various kinds of events take place in the college like the Srijan which is the inter-college fest and it is organized completely by the college students. Then there is Annual program, Shree which happens on the last working day before the Puja vacation starts, Foundation day, Annual College Sports and Rowing. From the Geography department students are taken for excursion out of West Bengal for their field work. All the classrooms have Air Conditioner and there is a medical room for the students. There is a certain dress code which the students need to follow during the class hours.
Principal: Aditi Dey
Established in the year: 1955
Address: 11, Lord Sinha Road, Elgin, Kolkata, West Bengal 700071
- Gokhale Memorial Girls’ College:it is considered as one of the best girls’ college in Kolkata. This college was named after Gopal Krishna Gokhale who was a teacher, freedom fighter and educationist. Science departments of this college are Clinical Nutrition and Dietetics, Physics, Geography, Chemistry, Mathematics and Botany. For Arts they have Psychology, Communicative English, Education, Economics, Philosophy, Political Science, History, Hindi, Sanskrit, Bengali and English. Student strength in this college is 500. All the students of this college have to follow the discipline diligently like they need to be punctual in attending all the classes. Showing the College Identity Card at the college gate is really important and mobile phones are not allowed in the classroom. As per the rule of University of Calcutta every student has to take one Honours paper and two general papers according to their choice. The teachers are really co-operative in this college. The student teacher ratio for each department is really good.
Established in the year: 1983
Principal: Dr AtashiKarpha
Address: 1/1, Harish Mukherjee Rd, Gokhel Road, Bhowanipore, Kolkata, West Bengal 700020
Call On: 033 2223 8287
- Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration:this was the first college in the city to offer only commerce degree. It is affiliated to the Calcutta University. It has undergraduate and postgraduate courses only in commerce and business. The degrees are B. Com, M. Com and MBA. The MBA course started from the year 2010. In the year 2017 this college was ranked as the 12th The college do not have hostel facility but the out of station students stays as paying guests in the nearby areas. Since this is one of the best colleges of the city getting admission in this college is not easy. Students getting 90% in the higher secondary examination also do not get to see their names in the merit list. The college has its own placement cell through which many students got through many reputed corporate houses in the past few years. More than 300 students got a job through this cell in the last 3 years. Some of the eminent personalities of this city passed out from this college.
Established in the year: 1905
Address: 210, BB Ganguly Street, College Square, Kolkata, West Bengal 700012
Call On: 033 22412216
Getting the dream job, buying a car or a house all these starts after a person goes through college education hence it becomes really important to take admission in a reputed college. Getting admission in any one of these college is a dream of every student staying in Kolkata. Most of the students starts preparing for it once they complete their class X’s exams.