BEST ENGINEERING COLLEGES IN KOLKATA
If you are really worried what to take up after school the best option is doing the engineering course. This is the course which does not have dearth jobs and as soon as a student graduate he or she will get placed in one of the reputed offices. Engineers contribute a lot towards the society in various ways and they are the highest paid workers. Students who are really good at maths and science subjects should join an engineering college and throughout the world engineers are in high in demand.
List of best engineering colleges in Kolkata are: –
- Jadavpur University: the main campus is in Jadavpur area and the new one is in Salt Lake.The engineering departments in this university are Architecture, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Computer Science And Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Construction Engineering, Electronics And Telecommunication Engineering, Information Technology, Food Technology And Bio-Chemical Engineering, Instrumentation And Electronics Engineering, Metallurgical And Material Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Power Engineering, Pharmaceutical Technology, Production Engineering and Printing Engineering. The mission of the engineering and technology department here is to provide the young minds with quality education so that they can contribute towards a better society. Students who rank in their plus two examination and entrance get through this university hence it can be said that the competition is really tough. Once a student gets admitted here, he or she is sure that he will get a job which gives handsome salary. JU students are in high demand in the professional field. Since it is located at the heart of the city commuting is not an issue for any students.
Established in the year: 1905
Chancellor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
Vice chancellor: Suranjan Das
Address: 1, 12, CIT Rd, Bidhannagar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700054
- Institute of Engineering and Management (IEM): this institution has earned a good reputation because of its strong faculty and also for the research and development team in all the areas. It is ranked as the 101th All India in 2019 by NIRF. There is 100% placement for the engineering students, most of the students get multiple job offers. There is facility for separate girls’ and boys’ hostel. CCTV coverage is there throughout the campus. The BTech departments here are Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering, Machinal Engineering, Computer Science and Business Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science Engineering (Iot), Computer Science Engineering (AI and ML). For MTech the departments are Information Technology, Computer Science and Engineering and Electronics and Communication Engineering. By the ABP Group the IEM had won the ‘Picture Perfect’ title. It has ranked in the ‘A’ category by the NAAC.
Address: Gurukul, Y12, Block -EP, SectorV, Salt Lake Electronics Complex
Kolkata 700 091, West Bengal
Call on: 033 23572969
- P. Poddar Institute of Management and Technology:For BTech only 4 departments are there like the Computer Science and Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering and Information Technology. The 4 years BTech courses are approved by AICTE (All India Council of technical Education). To get through this college a student should have science in their plus 2 and need to pass in the subjects. At least 30% will be required for English. And needs to pass the West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination. All the departments have modern equipment with researchfacilities. Some of them are DSP Lab, EM Theory and Antenna Lab, Microprocessor and Microcontroller Lab, Project Lab, VLSI Circuit and System Lab. All the departments have got a library full of subject books, reference books, journals, e-journals and technical magazines. This college participates in all inter college fests and win prizes for their college.
Established in the year: 1999
Principal: Dr Sutapa Mukherjee
Address: 137, VIP Rd, Mali Bagan, Poodar Vihar, Poddar Vihar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700052
Call On: 98364 36999
- Heritage Institute of Technology:it is also known as HIT or HITK. This private autonomous engineering college affiliated to the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad University of Technology. This institution offers BTech courses in Computer science and engineering, applied electronics and instrumentation engineering, biotechnology, information technology, civil engineering, mechanical engineering, chemical engineering and electrical engineering. The MTech courses which this institution offers are VLSI, Biotechnology, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Computer Science and Engineering and Applied Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering. Various workshops take place here where students are allowed to participate which is beyond the regular academic syllabus, actually all the students gain a lot from these.
Principal: Pranay Chaudhuri
Address: Chowbaga Rd, Anandapur, Mundapara, Kolkata, West Bengal 700107
Call On: 033 6627 0502
- Meghnad Saha Institute of Technology: this engineering college is affiliated to the West Bengal University of Technology. The academic departments which are present here are Computer Science and Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Information Technology, Electrical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Applications and also Business Studies. Students graduating from the Computer Science department are working in reputed companies like IBM, TCS, CTS, Oracle and many more, they got the job immediately after completing the course. Some of the students have already published many scientific papers. Apart from studies this institution always encourages students to take part in extracurricular activities. Only two subjects are offer for MTech like the Computer Science and Geo Technical Engineering (Civil).
Address: Ruby General Hospital, Behind Urbana Complex Near, Nazirabad Rd, Uchhepota, Kolkata, West Bengal 700150
Call on: 033 2443 1031
- Narula Institute of Technology:the admission to this college for BTech degree is done through WBJEE and JEE Main and for MTech students have to pass GATE and PGET. It is an autonomous private engineering college affiliated to the MAKAUT. For Computer Since, Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Information Technology, Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering, Electrical Engineering a BTech degree is given. Only for Computer science and Engineering, Power Systems and Electronics and Communication Engineering the MTech degree is given. There are diploma courses also taught like for Civil Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunication, Electronics and Communication and Electrical Engineering. Every year 3000 students pass out from this college and there are 75 laboratories will all kinds of facility which will be needed for the students for their research work.
Established in the year: 2001
Director: Sarder Jodh Singh
Address: No. 81, Nilgunj Rd, Jagarata Pally, Deshpriya Nagar, Agarpara, Kolkata, West Bengal 700109
Call On: 033 25638888
- Adamas University: this private university offers engineering courses as well. In the year 2019 by the Times Engineering Survey, it was ranked as the best engineering schools of East India. It is the home for advanced engineering programmes. Recently it has launched some new courses on Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning, gaming and animation, IoT and embedded systems, robotics, cyber security, forensics and lot more. There are 6 departments of engineering in this school. Some Multi-National Companies like Wipro, IBM, Infosys, HCL and ACC come every year for campus selection. Since the college is associated with various foreign universities hence faculties from there give lecture to the students. The professors make the students ready to face the outer world during the course. The engineers passing out from here say that they are satisfied with their job and this is because of the high salaries they get and the job security backed with good benefits.
Chancellor: Samit Ray
Address: Barasat – Barrackpore Rd, 24 Parganas North, Jagannathpur, Kolkata, West Bengal 700126
Call On: 1800 419 7423
- Marine Engineering and Research Institute: this institution was previously known as the Directorate of Marine Engineering Training. It has got 2 branches in India; one is in Mumbai and the other is in Kolkata. In Kolkata there are only 246 seats in this college for a BTech degree and only 20 seats for MTech degree. Candidates having maths, chemistry and Physics can enter this college. The faculty while preparing all the students for the Marine Industry conducts theory and practical classes within the campus. Outside the campus they are taken for the Shipyard and Shipboard training. The curriculum also makes sure that the students get enough exposure to the computer, electronic and information technologies. Within the campus there is a swimming pool, tennis court, fully equipped gym and a playground. Engineers who get jobs in this field gets to travel a lot due to their jobs.
Address: P-19, Taratala Rd, CPT Colony, Alipore, Kolkata, West Bengal 700088
Call On: 033 24014675
- Indian Institute of Engineering Science and Technology, Shibpur (IIEST): though this university is not exactly located in Kolkata but it is one of the best government college which is controlled by the ‘Council of National Institutes of Technology’. It was also known as Bengal Engineering College or B E College and was previously affiliated to the Calcutta University. There is total 16 departments (among which there are 9 engineering departments), 8 schools of excellence and 2 multi-disciplinary centres. The departments are Aerospace Engineering and Applied Mechanics, Information Technology, Computer Science and Technology, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Metallurgy and Materials Engineering, MechanicalEngineering, Electrical Engineering, Earth Sciences, Mining Engineering Mining Engineering, Chemistry and Civil Engineering. Students who score good marks in their class 12 exams and the entrance examination only they get through this university. At present there are 4000 students and 250 faculty members. This particular institution has a rich history and the students who gets an academic degree from here does really good in their professional life.
Director: Parthasarathi Chakrabarti
Address: P.O. – Botanic Garden, Howrah, West Bengal 711103
Call On: 033 26684561
- Government College of Engineering and Ceramic Technology: previously it was known as the College of ceramic Technology (CCT). Now it is affiliated to the MAKAUT and this college offers the BTech degree in Ceramic Technology, Computer Science and Engineering and Information Technology. The Ceramic Technology and Information Technology has MTech courses as well. Only 48 seats are available for each department among which 40 students can get through WBJEE and only 8 through the JELET. Prof. Sasadhar Ray was the first Principal and an educationist had founded this college. Particularly the ceramic department can boast about its labs, the labs which are there for the students are Geology Lab, Project Lab, The Film Lab, Energy Engineering Lab, Nano Materials and Sol-gel lab, Instrumental Analysis Lab, Coating Lab, Glass Lab, White ware lab, unit Operation Lab, Cement and Concrete Lab and Refractory Lab. The special instruments used for research work are: Spin and Dip Coater, Lanmuir Blodget Thin Film Appartus, High Temperature Viscometer, Horizontal Dilatometer, High Temperature Furnace, Micro hardness tester, Sedigraph, Optical Microscope and Nano Particle Size Analyser.
Established in the year: 1941
Address: 73, Avinash Chandra Banerjee Ln, Subhas Sarobar Park, Phool Bagan, Beleghata, Kolkata, West Bengal 700010
- Rajabazar Science College:it is also known as the Science College to the people of Kolkata. This is one of 5 main campuses under the university of Calcutta. The engineering departments here are Applied Optics and Photonics, Applied Physics (Electrical Engineering and Instrumentation Engineering), Radio Physics and Electronics (Electronics and Communication Engineering). From the year 2015 some of the departments like the CSE, IT and OOE had being shifted to the new campus which is in Salt Lake. They do have courses for MTech degree also. The price of this courses is really less when compared with the price taken by the private engineering colleges. The professors of this college are experienced and are associated in this field for years.
Founder: Ashutosh Mukherjee
Vice Chancellor: Sonali Chakravarti Banerjee
Address: 92, Acharya Prafulla Chandra Road, Rajabazar, Machuabazar, Kolkata, West Bengal 700009
The prestige that comes with the engineering degree is unparallel with any other educational degree. When a Non-engineer hear that you have struggled to get this degree and now you are successful, they will surely bow down in front of you in his mind. How does not want this kind of respect? So, study hard from your school days, take up science and join any one of this engineering college. Surely you will be successful in life and that too within very few years.