Best Neurologists in Kolkata
A neurologist treats all kind of problems related to nerves, spinal cord and brain. It also includes demyelinating diseases like multiple sclerosis and cerebrovascular diseases for example problems related to headache, stroke, infection in the brain or in the peripheral nervous system. Illness like Parkinson’s disease or neurodegenerative disorders like Huntington’s disease, Alzheimer’s disease is treated by them. They even treat disorders of seizures such as epilepsy, speech and language disorders, spinal cord disorders and so on.
To become a neurologist, it requires an undergraduate degree then 4 years of medical school after than a year of internship and finally minimum 3 years of specialized training. This is because the nervous system present in the human body is very complex. Sometimes it becomes necessary for neurologist to take up an extra additional education to provide the best treatment to all the patients.
Most of the times people do not understand that they are going through some kind of problem which is related to the nervous system. Many times, people try to ignore it. In fact, some of the symptoms go unnoticed or unexplained by the medical science. Still if you feel that there is a pain in the spinal cord or the brain try to contact a neurologist. At the initial stage there is nothing to be scared of. If you get proper treatment at the right time then surely you will be fine.
No one should make a mix up a general neurologist with a neurosurgeon. All neurologists are not surgeons and it is not even true that neurologists prescribe operations all the time. Surgeries are never performed by neurologists but in case a patient requires then they refer to a neurosurgeon. Neurosurgeons are physicians who has specialised in operating various parts of the nervous system and the brain. Not only their job is limited to treating brain problems but they even tackle serious problems related to the spinal cords. A neurosurgeon often works with other medical doctors in case of emergency to handle the brain or anykind of nerve trauma. He completed his MBBS degree from the Medical College in 2002, then did his MD in the year 2006. He has won several awards as a doctor and has being associated with many hospitals and nursing homes over the years.
List of best neurologistsworking in Kolkata right now are:
- DrAbhijit Das: if you search the internet you will find Dr Das’s names as the best neurologist working in Kolkata for more than 14 years. He is the director of all the neurorehabilitation programs at the Institute of Neuroscience of AMRI, Kolkata. His area of specialization is sleep medicine, neurorehabilitation and also non-invasive brain stimulation. He is interested in modern technology when it comes to treatment so he implies it in his practise.
Timings: MON – FRI
between 11:00 AM – 5:00 PM and
SAT- 11:00 – 2:00 PM – 6:00 PM at AMRI Hospital.
Expected Consultation fees is INR 1200.
Address: #230, Barakhola Lane,
Phone Number: 9831271029
- Dr Samar Chowdhury: this doctor has earned a very good name by serving poor people who are staying in villages of West Bengal like in Hooghly, Howrah and Burdwan. he is a specialist in this state as a neuro-medicine. There are several success stories related to his treatment which is said by his patients. He is known specially for treating all kinds of critical and very challenging cases and have achieved more than 98% success rate.
Timings: TUE, SAT, SUN from 3:00 PM – 8:00 PM.
Expected consultation fees is Rs 1000
Address: Dr Chowdhury’s Neuro Clinic,
BC – 1,
West Bengal 700064
Landmark: Nera Water Tank No. 2
Phone number: 98301 82809
- Dr S K Somani: he is also a good neurologist practising for more than 3 decades. For consultation he is available at the Bansal Medical Services which is located in the Howrah district. He is an expert in treating Headache Management, Stroke Treatment, Spinal Disorders Treatment, Muscle Disorders treatment and so on. He is one of the active members of the Association of Neuroscientists of the eastern India, IEA (Indian Epilepsy Association), Indian Academy of Neurology. In the year 1982 he completed his MBBS from the University of Calcutta, after that he did a diploma course in tropical medicine and health from the same university. Finally, he got his MD degree in the year 1991. He keeps participating in various conferences where he presents his medical research papers. In the year 2008 he had written a chapter for the book ‘Movement Disorders’ which was published by the Jaypee Brothers.
Timings: MON, THU, SAT
from 9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
Expected consultation fees is INR 1000.
Address: 17A, Roy Ln,
Near Ganesh Talkies,
Raja Katra, Bara Bazaar,
West Bengal 700007
Phone number: 033 2274 1506
- Dr Jayanta Roy: he is working as a neurologist in Mukundapur and have an experience of more than 26 years. For treating his patients, he uses only modern and advanced techniques. Medical associations like the American Academy of Neurology, American Stroke Association,Indian Stroke Association, Indian Academy of Neurology, European Stroke Organisation, World Stroke Organization he is an active member. At the Apollo Gleneagles Hospital of Kolkata, he is the Head of the Department and Senior Consultant Developmental Paediatrician. He had completed his MBBS degree from the Calcutta National Medical College in the year 1991, then did MD from the Utkal University in the year 1997 in general medicine and later did DM in neurology from the Bangur Institute of Neuroscience and IPGMER. He is best for treating patients who suffers from acute stroke like stroke imaging and young stroke. From the year 2015 he is the director and the head of the department of neuromedicine at the AMRI Neurosciences Centre. If you want your patient to get a check-up done from him then please take a prior appointment, call on the number given below and the office people will give a date and time to meet Dr Roy.
Timings: MON-FRI between 12:00 PM – 05:30 PM
Expected Consultation Fees is INR 1200.
Address: AMRI Hospital,
230, Barakhola Lane,
West Bengal 700099
Landmark: behind Metro Cash and Carry
Phone Number: 09836210993
- Dr Sadanand Dey: he is another experienced neurologist of this city. He is working for the past 15 years in various nursing homes, hospitals and clinics. Dr Dey specialises in Neurophysiology, Neurological Problems, Nerve and muscle disorder, Neurological dysfunction, Neuromuscular disorders and peripheral nerve. He is an important member of the Indian Stroke Association and World Stroke Organisation. This doctor has won an award as the young neurologist from the World Stroke Organisation. He had completed his neurology from the IPGMER and then had gone to the United States of America to do a certificate course in Neurovascular Ultrasound Interpretation from the Wake Forest School of Medicine.
Timings: MON-FRI between 10:30 AM – 05:30 PM
Expected Consultation fees is INR 1000.
Address: AMRI Hospital,
#230, Barakhola Lane,
Landmark: behind Metro Cash n Carry,
Phone Number: 033 6606 1000
- Dr Dhiman Das: you will get to consult with him only by prior appointment. The staffs of this clinic (where he is available for consultation) is very prompt with their work and assist everyone properly. He is a very popular doctor and have been treating patients suffering from neurological problems for the past 12 years. He has completed his graduation from the university of Calcutta in the year 2005 then did MD and DM in the neurology. His patients describe him as a young, dynamic doctor who knows his job very well. Compared to other neurologist Dr Das is new in this field and he prefers using treatment procedures which are used in the developed countries.
Expected consultation fees is Rs 550.
Address: Sparsh Diagnostic Centre,
231/1 NSC Bose Road,
Landmark: near the Usha gate bus stop
Phone number: 033 2481 0337
- Dr Arindam Das: working for 28 years a neurologist and have treated more than thousand patients in these years. He is one of the best neurologists available right now in the city of joy. He is an expert in treating patients who suffer from general neurological problems like epilepsy, movement disorder, cognitive dysfunction, paediatric neurology and so on. Children who suffer from neurological problems can come to him for treatment. He prescribes the best medicine and within few months he has the capability to cure his patients. Previously he had worked in the BangurInstitute of Neurosciences from 2008 to 2011. Specially for kids he gives extra time to their parents to make them understand what their child is going through and how the treatment procedure will take place in the future.
Timings: MON – SAT between 03:00 PM – 05:00 PM.
Expected Consultation fees is INR 600.
Address: 120 / 1 Andul Road,
Landmark: near College Ghat Road
Phone Number: 1860 208 0208
- Dr Abhijit Chatterjee: for consultation he is available at the Belle Vue Clinic but only through prior appointment. So, people staying in the surrounding regions can easily come here for check-up. He got his MBBS degree in the year 1971 from the Calcutta Medical College and then did MD from the IPGME&P (Institute of Post Graduate Medical Education & Research) during 1976 and later completed his DM in Neurology from the University of Calcutta in 1980. He is an expertise in treating dementia, stroke, epilepsy, neuropathy. Any kind of headache if you are suffering that too for a long time, then please do not waste any more time come and consult with this doctor before it turns very serious. He is associated with the Neurological Society of India, Indian Academy of Neurology, Association of Neuroscientists of Eastern India.
Expected Consultation fees is INR 1200.
Timings: TUE, THU, SAT from 03:00 PM – 05:00 PM.
Address: 60, Motilal Nehru Road,
West Bengal 700029
Phone Number: 033 2475 0334
- Dr Tejendra Nath Kundu: he is associated in this field for more than 25 years and right now he is practising at the Theism Poly Clinic. The best part of his treatment is he explains his patient and his family members how the treatment is going to occur as in all the medical procedures. In the year 1992 he completed his MD from the Brahmpura Medical College which is located in Odisha, then did DM from the University of Calcutta in the year 2000.
Timings: MON, WED, FRI from 08:00 AM – 09:00 PM
Expected Consultation fees is INR 600.
Address: Theism Poly Clinic
18/1-A, Seven Tanks Lane,
Phone Number: 033 2558 2489
- Dr Manoj Kumar Bhattacharya: he is working for more than 40 years as a neurologist and neurosurgeon. One of the committed doctors who meets each and every patient with love and care as said by his patients. For consultation he is available at the Park Clinic which is in Minto Park. Most of the neurologist is not a surgeon, in fact neurologists do not suggest an operation until and unless it is required but this doctor is a general neurologist and neurosurgeon. He serves conditions like trauma, stroke, congenital deformities, brain tumours, infections in the spine or the brain, vascular disorders and degenerative diseases of the spine.
Timings: MON – SAT from 05:00 PM – 07:00 PM
Expected Consultation Feesis INR 1000.
Address: 4, Victoria Terrace,
AJC Bose Road,
West Bengal 700017
Landmark: in between Minto park and Camac Street
Phone Number: 90380 15127
From all the systems working in a human body damaging the nervous system can be really dangerous and devastating. Working of the nervous system is really complex and without a neurologist no one else can solve this problem. Maybe you can take help from your family physician but if he understands after examining that it is related to the nervous system then he will surely refer to the doctor who deals with it without wasting any time. So, keep this article saved by chance you need it for your family member or your friend.