There are some parallels between bike service and general health checks, but the latter is more vital because a live organism has its own self-cleaning and self-repairing mechanisms. Keep your bike in top shape by following the manufacturer or dealer’s recommendations for routine maintenance. Some individuals wait until the bike has a problem before they get it serviced, which is often the root cause of the problem. In general, you should have your bike serviced after a set number of kilometers/miles, however this varies from bike to bike and manufacturer to manufacturer. Every component of the bike is examined during routine maintenance, including the electronics, engine, carburetor (if present), oil, air filter, swingarms, chain, and sprockets, suspension, breaks, and all of the above.
Tips for bike servicing
Buying a car or a bike is a long-term commitment. When a car reaches a certain age, it loses some of its fuel efficiency, just like other machinery. The vehicle’s speed is also affected since the parts slow down. Scooters and bikes, being smaller vehicles, are particularly vulnerable to this problem. All of this may be avoided, however, if you follow the service provider’s recommendations for regular maintenance and servicing of your motorcycle. You can also accomplish certain things on your own at home. You can benefit from the following advice on bike maintenance.
For those who own a bike, one of the most important obligations is to keep it in good shape by periodically servicing and inspecting the bike. Maintaining a well-maintained motorcycle includes not only having it serviced on a regular basis but also performing routine maintenance inspections. To keep your bike in peak condition, here are seven things to remember and do on a daily basis.
Regular tyre inspection is essential
The engine as well as the tyres on your motorcycle see the most use and abuse of any component. Regular tyre inspections on a two-wheeler are critical. The tyres must be checked extensively for air pressure. It’s important to keep the tyre air pressure in your bike’s tyres at the prescribed levels. You’ll find this information in the instruction manual that comes with the bike. Additionally, keep an eye out for any wounds, scrapes, or punctures, as well as any sudden blowouts. At least once a week, tyres should be inspected. You should inspect your tyres on a regular basis for signs of wear and tear, including low air pressure. Tires with the proper air pressure last longer and have better grip, making them safer to drive on the road.
Make sure the engine oil is at the proper level:
Checking your bike’s engine is one of the most crucial maintenance advice to keep in mind. The bike’s flawless running is made possible by the engine oil. Inspect for leaks and make sure that the engine is running at its optimal level. Carbon deposits in the oil can cause the oil to thicken and potentially harm the engine of a motorcycle. When riding a motorcycle with dirty engine oil, not only does it increase fuel consumption, but it also severely affects the engine’s lifespan. Every year, or as advised by your bike’s maker in the owner’s manual, you will need to change your bike’s oil. Your bike’s oil has to be changed more frequently if it has been driven a lot. If you ride a lot, your oil may need to be changed more frequently.
When clutch adjustment is required, make the following adjustments:
By adjusting the clutch, you may shift gears. It aids in increasing or decreasing the speed of the bike. You should be able to freely operate the clutch when it has been properly adjusted. Clutch overtightening can lead to vehicle slipping and even higher fuel consumption. The clutch adjustment must be in the proper location at all times.
Perform an engine inspection:
Your bike service guide emphasises the importance of inspecting the engine because it is the bike’s heart. The best way to ensure that your motorcycle runs smoothly is to get the engine serviced on a regular basis. Additionally, it improves fuel economy and lowers your monthly gas bill. Regularly cleaning the carburetor is also necessary. Every 1500 miles, the carburetor float chamber needs to be cleaned and inspected. Make sure the spark plug is also checked and cleaned. The proper functioning of an engine’s combustion process is directly impacted by the condition of the spark plug. After every 750 miles, it needs to be washed.
The brakes should be checked:
As with the clutch and engine, the brakes on bicycles are subjected to the most abuse. Make sure that both brakes are holding the tyre and that they are evenly spaced. As dangerous as it is to over-tighten your brakes, over-tightening them can be just as harmful. You should only modify your brakes to fit your unique needs and riding style. You need to change the front brake pads if you hear a screeching sound, because this could be caused by a shortage of oil. Before every ride, make sure to check your brakes to make sure they are working properly. Brake fluid levels must also be checked. Every one to two years, it should be replaced to ensure the safety of your vehicle’s brakes. Make careful to inspect your brake pads and replace them before they wear down to the point where they touch the metal, i.e.
Power is transferred from your bike’s engine to the back wheel by means of its drive chain. After every ride, lube the chain while it is still warm. In addition, make sure that the tension is correct, since this will extend the life of your bike.
Cleansing Device for Air
It is imperative that you clean your air filter using compressed air on a regular basis. Your engine will be under extra strain if your air filter is clogged. The engine may need to be replaced if it is too unclean to clean.
To prevent this, make that your gasoline filter is free of debris. You should also inspect your gasoline lines for damage. Fuel lines that show signs of breaking should be replaced right away.
Make sure your battery is fully charged while it is not in use. Your battery will last longer if you do this. Battery top cleanliness and electrolyte levels should be checked before use. Add distilled or deionized water if necessary.
If you’re still unsure about how to properly service your bike, consult the owner’s manual that came with it when you bought it. Battery maintenance, fork oil checks, and sprocket replacements are just a few of the other bike maintenance tasks that need to be completed in order to keep your bike running at its peak performance. Clean the bike’s surface and inspect the transmission and air filters on a regular basis to keep it in peak condition.
Things to keep in mind before bike servicing
Bikes are a huge aspect of our lives as riders. They are adored, treasured, and given more attention than we give ourselves. There are many people who consider motorcycles an essential part of their lives, and maintaining them is an essential aspect of that ownership. The easiest way to keep your bike in top shape is to schedule regular maintenance appointments. However, simply handing over your cherished two-wheeler to a servicing centre won’t guarantee the greatest outcomes. Customers are routinely tricked into paying more than necessary for repairs at service centres. It is critical that you know these things to ensure that you are getting excellent care for your motorcycle at an affordable cost.
Before we get into what you should and shouldn’t do at the gas station, here are two practises to get into.
- Keep jotting down the problems you’ve had with the bike on a piece of paper or your phone. A creaking noise from the body panel or a lack of performance or efficiency are examples of these issues. All the problems you’ve had with the bike can be remembered and solved using these notes.
- Keep track of all of the bike’s maintenance. You don’t have to be an expert to keep track of your bike’s service records or photos of these documents on your phone or computer. This will make it easier for you to figure out how much it will cost to maintain your bike and keep track of what parts or procedures it has previously undergone. The after-sales cost of the bike is additionally boosted by a well-documented service history. Now, make sure you follow each of these instructions in order to receive the greatest servicing of your bike.
- Be prepared with a list of all the issues you want addressed prior to the service call. If you know exactly what needs to be done to your motorcycle, you’ll be less likely to be treated like a sucker by the mechanic and get ripped off. Point I is referenced.
- Make a reservation at the service centre in advance. Inquire with the service coordinator about the availability of any replacement components that may be required.
- Before the servicing, take a few images of the bike, perhaps at the service centre. Customer claims of damage to their bikes by the service centre have been denied in the past because of a lack of supporting evidence. When it comes to defending your interests, clean photos may go a long way.
- Keep an eye on how much gas your motorcycle has. Keep enough supplies on hand to carry out post-service checks.
- One to two hours is typical for a typical service. While the bike is being repaired, it’s a good idea to stay in the shop. To the extent that you can, keep an eye on the parts that are being replaced and inspect the ones that are still in use for signs of wear.
- Brake shoes/pads, engine oil and air filters, as well as throttle/brake/clutch cables, chain & sprocket and wheel bearings all have a relatively short lifespan. Although these parts are frequently replaced, we recommend that you inspect them for wear yourself before purchasing a new one.
- Engine longevity and performance depend on regular oil changes performed at the recommended intervals. Don’t stray from the recommendations in your owner’s manual when it comes to engine oil. The range for most bikes is between 3,000 and 5,000 kilometres. Some people are debating whether or not to switch to synthetic or higher-grade motor oil, but for most, the added expense is not worth it for the performance and efficiency improvements.
- After the service has been completed, review the job card with the technician to ensure that all the necessary work has been completed. After the service, take a spin on the bike. Keep an eye on things to make sure they’re all fixed. You should only pay once you are pleased with the condition of the bike. Always have a copy of the job card/bill on hand just in case.
- If you can’t keep up with the scheduled maintenance, look for non-periodic yet preventive maintenance. As a result, there is no way to know how long it will take between successive services. You can move at your own pace, but don’t wait around for a breakdown.
- Before handing over your bike to a repair shop, inspect it for any blemishes. In addition, be sure to mention it to the automobile inspector but if feasible, have him write it down on the work card. If you notice any blemishes or dents on the vehicle when it arrives at the servicing centre, you may be able to get your money back. It’s always best to go to a service station or garage that uses job cards. Worker and vehicle inspector communicate through the use of a job card.
- Before heading to the service station, write down all of your concerns so that you don’t forget anything vital during rush hour. Make sure that the vehicle inspection is aware of your issues and understands what you’re going through.
- Take a look at your vehicle’s toolbox. It’s best to get rid of it. For those who cannot count the number of tools in between servicing, counted the number of tools. Remove any priceless and essential items from your car (if available). If you suspect that your car has a dynamic issue, always go for a test drive with a vehicle inspector. Make an effort to clarify and persuade him on the subject.
Benefits of Bike Servicing
A bicycle service includes inspecting the health of the components and repairing or replacing them if necessary. In the long run, a well-maintained bike is dependable and reliable, because there are no doubts about it. Periodic servicing is typically recommended every 3000 kilometres by the majority of motorbike manufacturers. Parts such as sprockets (including brake pads, bearings, and shoes), as well as the chains, air filter, and electrical systems (including the engine oil), are serviced on a regular basis. Costs for most mass-market bikes and even some premium models are less than Rs. 1000/- for a three-month preventive service. The following points stress the necessity of timely bike maintenance:
- When selling a bike, the owner has an advantage if the service records are comprehensive. Even if the bike is in poor condition, buyers would be ready to pay a higher for it.
- Regular maintenance reduces the likelihood of unexpected breakdowns and component failures. Taking a bike out for a ride is a completely carefree experience. The user’s perception of the bike’s reliability is shaped by this.
- Ahead-of-Time Indication of Costs — The service centre staff frequently alerts customers to the possibility of forthcoming expenses, such as a sprocket replacement, coolant top-up, or clutch overhaul.
- The manufacturer may deny a warranty claim if the services are not performed at the stated intervals by the service provider. It’s a good idea to get the longest warranty possible and to keep track of when you’re doing your maintenance.
- Bike Parts Last Longer when Cared for Properly — When the parts of the bike are properly cared for and maintained, they last longer. Keeping the chain clean and lubricated can help it last longer, while changing the oil in the engine on a regular basis will help keep the engine’s components in better shape.
- Maintenance work ensures that perhaps the engine as well as other mechanical parts are in peak shape, which results in better fuel efficiency. Proper tyre pressure, regular oil changes, and clean filters all contribute to higher fuel economy.
- Mechanically Tight — A well-maintained bike has a more confident rider because of its mechanical tightness.
- Improved Parts Life – Lubricating and correcting the play of bike parts is an important part of bike service since it ensures that they work properly and lowers stress on them. A lubricated and clean chain, for example, will extend the life of the sprocket.
- An easy approach to boost your bike’s performance is by doing a fast service. Most of the improving performance can be found in the wheels, which should be free to spin without any resistance. A wheel straightening service is also included in this package. Improved speed and comfort can be achieved by installing a good spare tyre with low resistance. For example, a mountain bike. The fork’s responsiveness on the trail can be improved by servicing both the front and rear suspensions. This will allow the bike to travel at a faster rate. You can tell a difference in performance if you aggregate little advances into larger ones. There are numerous advantages to having your bicycle serviced, but this is the most important one.
- Durability of Components – A longer lifespan for one’s bike and its parts is something that everyone wants. Components are designed to function under “ultimate riding circumstances” to ensure long-term durability and high-quality performance. Dirt, muck, rust, and hard pedalling are just a few of the harsh environments that a bike is exposed to while out on the road. Damage and wear might occur, reducing the simulated lifespan of the device. Using the drivetrain parts as an illustration, we can see how critical regular bike maintenance is to their long-term performance. There’s a mileage limit for chain replacement, and a lot of intense cycling wears out the chain. Damage to the cassette & chainring is caused by the chain rollers when they reach a particular stretch percentage (+0.75%). Because of this, the chain can’t be fixed even if the chain is replaced, and it’s already too late for that. Now, the only way to fix this problem is to replace your entire drivetrain system, which is expensive. The key to its long-term viability and health is regular service, inspection, and cleaning of its components.
- It will save you money in the long run if you take care of your bike chain at the correct time, as we discussed previously. Return to the previous page to see an estimate for the total cost of replacing the entire drivetrain. It’s true that you’ll have to spend money on bike maintenance from time to time. But. In the long run, it can be much less expensive if it survives the lifespan of other associated components. Always keep in mind that when you spend money on bike service, you’re also saving money, which is a useful perspective to have.
- Service is a good approach to make sure the bike is safe because mechanical problems can lead to terrible cracks. The parts that slow you down on the road, such as brake pads and rotors, are included in bike maintenance. Imagine if the brakes were to fail on a steep downhill or if they were missing at a crucial time. We don’t want to be in a situation like that. Servicing your bike prevents you from encountering these kinds of situations. Checking the frameset (frame/fork) for cracks, especially on carbon bikes, is also an important element of a proper bike service routine. Those little fractures can become larger while riding, making particular portions of the frame weaker and more prone to breaking under stress, which is dangerous for your well-being. You can check and ensure your bike’s safety by just serving.
Best bike service centers in Kolkata
Bhagna Two Wheeler Repairing Shop
A one-stop shop for all of your motorbike maintenance needs, Bhagna Two Wheeler Repairing Shop is located in Bhagna, India. Their crew of mechanics is well-versed in all aspects of motorbike and scooter repair and maintenance. There is no compromise in their commitment to offering top-notch service and workmanship. In addition to providing the best two-wheeler repair & services at a competitive price, they also provide motorcycle repair and services. When you bring your bike to Bhagna Two Wheeler Repairing Shop, they treat it as if it was their own. For the sake of efficiency, their staff can make use of the most recent tool.
The following services are performed: engine oil replacement, clutch adjustment, check cooling fluid level, general service; vehicle wash and polish; horn; stop and indicator lights; head/tail/instruments; and other services. The steering head bearings are checked and adjusted. The tyre pressures are also checked. The rear suspension is checked as well.
Bikers Planet Service Centre
We are a one-stop shop for all of your automotive maintenance needs. The company has more than thirteen years of field experience of motorcycle maintenance and repair. Their staff of mechanics specializes in the servicing of Bajaj motorcycles and other similar models. Ravi is a well-behaved individual who also happens to be the most qualified two-wheeler Engineer. Shakeel also has extensive knowledge of the engines found in all types of motorcycles and scooters. They deliver a high-quality service at a competitive price.
Back Suspension, Steering, Complete Service, Stop/Indicators, Clutch Cooler Level, Horn, Vehicle Wash & Polish, Tire, Engine Oil Replacement, and Head/Tail/Instruments are all included. Side stand installation, clutch and switch replacement, engine oil renewal, vehicle wash & polish, swing arm play, pedal action, spark plugs, brake pads, coolant level, spoke tension, and tyre pressure adjustments are all included.
IFRA Bike Point
At IFRA Bike Point are one of the most trusted motorbike repair businesses in Kolkata, offering complete two-wheeler repairing and service at a competitive price. They and their team are committed to providing consumers with complete and total pleasure. Their technicians have a wealth of knowledge and are able to finish projects with high levels of quality. With regard to maintenance, they are knowledgeable and helpful! An additional service is available at the IFRA Bike Point: a doorstep puncher. They provide two-wheeler repair services of high quality at a reasonable price for their customers’ convenience.
Ki Mobility Solutions Pvt Ltd in Kolkata City, Kolkata
Kolkata City’s Ki Mobility Solutions Pvt Ltd is a leader in the field of Motorcycle Repair & Services. One of Kolkata’s best-known establishments, this one-stop shop caters to both locals and visitors alike. This company has made a name for itself in the field it has chosen to specialise in. As a result of its commitment to ensuring complete client pleasure at all times, this business has built a loyal following of patrons that is only set to grow in the future. This organisation employs people who are committed to their jobs and work hard to fulfil the company’s overall vision and goals.
Aiming for growth in the coming years, this company plans to extend its product and service offerings and reach a wider audience. In Kolkata, this business has a prominent position in the city’s downtown area.. There are numerous kinds of transportation to choose from when it comes to getting to this establishment. Motorcycle Repair & Services, Car Repair and Services, Motorcycle-Bajaj-TVS-Royal Enfield Repair & Services, Two Wheeler-Suzuki Repair & Services,Motorcycle-Suzuki-Yamaha Repair & Services, Motorcycle-Suzuki-Bajaj-TVS-Royal Enfield Repair & Services
A wide variety of products and/or services are available from Ki Mobility Solutions Pvt Ltd in Kolkata City to meet the needs of its clients. The employees at this restaurant are always friendly and ready to help. When you have any questions or concerns, they are more than happy to assist you. Use any of the accessible payment methods, such as Cash, to quickly and easily pay for the goods or service you desire.
Nabo Bike Service Centre in Newtown Bus Stand, Kolkata
Nabo Bike Service Centre near Newtown Bus Stand, Kolkata was established in 2015 and is one of the leading motorcycle repair and service providers in Kolkata. One of Kolkata’s best-known establishments, this one-stop shop caters to both locals and visitors alike. This company has made a name for itself in the field it has chosen to specialise in. As a result of its commitment to ensuring complete client pleasure at all times, this business has built a loyal following of patrons that is only set to grow in the future. This organisation employs people who are committed to their jobs and work hard to fulfil the company’s overall vision and goals. Looking for growth in the near future, the company plans to extend its product and service offerings and reach a wider audience.
This shop is located in the Newtow Bus Station in Kolkata. There are numerous kinds of transportation to choose from when it comes to getting to this establishment. Located at Newtow Busstop, Nr-Newtown Bus Stand, it is easy for first-time guests to locate this business. For example, it’s known for providing excellent service in the following areas: Motorbike Repair & Services, Motorcycle Repair & Services-Honda, Motorcycle Repair and Services-TVS, Motorcycle Repair and Services-Royal Enfield, Motorcycle Repair and Services-Bajaj, Motorcycle Repair & Services-Yamaha, Motorcycle Repair & Services-Hero.
At order to meet the diverse needs of their customers, Nabo Bike Service Centre in Newtow Bus Stand offers a comprehensive range of products and services. The employees at this restaurant are always friendly and ready to help. When you have any questions or concerns, they are more than happy to assist you. Use any of the available payment methods, such as Cash on Delivery, to quickly and easily pay for the goods or service you desire.
Gahmari Auto World in Beliaghata, Kolkata
Gahmari Auto World in Beliaghata, Kolkata, has been a leading motorcycle dealer in Kolkata since its inception in 2010. One of Kolkata’s best-known establishments, this one-stop shop caters to both locals and visitors alike. This company has made a name for itself in the field it has chosen to specialise in. As a result of its commitment to ensuring complete client pleasure at all times, this business has built a loyal following of patrons that is only set to grow in the future. This organisation employs people who are committed to their jobs and work hard to fulfil the company’s overall vision and goals.
Aiming for growth in the near future, this company plans to extend its product and service offerings and reach a wider audience. Beliaghata, Kolkata, is home to this enterprise, which occupies a prominent position. There are numerous kinds of transportation to choose from when it comes to getting to this establishment. Allahabad Bank’s C I T Road location makes it easy for some first visitors to find this institution. It’s known for providing excellent service in the following categories: Automobile Part Dealers, Motorcycle Dealers, Motorcycle Repair & Services, Motorcycle Dealers-Honda, Motorcycle Dealers-TVS, Motorcycle Dealers-Bajaj, Motorcycle Dealers-Yamaha, Motorcycle Dealers-Suzuki.
Customers in Beliaghata can choose from a large choice of goods and services at Gahmari Auto World, which is located in the city. The employees at this restaurant are always friendly and ready to help. When you have any questions or concerns, they are more than happy to assist you. It’s easy to pay for products and service using any of accessible payment options such as a cashier’s check or a debit card or a credit card.
Ramjit Auto Services in Akra Phatak, Kolkata
Ramjit Auto Services in Akra Phatak, Kolkata, has been in business since 1999 and is a leading motorcycle dealer in Kolkata. One of Kolkata’s best-known establishments, this one-stop shop caters to both locals and visitors alike. This company has made a name for itself in the field it has chosen to specialise in. As a result of its commitment to ensuring complete client pleasure at all times, this business has built a loyal following of patrons that is only set to grow in the future.
This organisation employs people who are committed to their jobs and work hard to fulfil the company’s overall vision and goals. Hoping for expansion, this company plans to extend its product and service offerings and reach a wider audience. Akra Phatak, Kolkata, is where this business is located. There are numerous kinds of transportation to choose from when it comes to getting to this establishment. Located on Santoshpur Road, just north of Gachtala, this establishment is easily accessible for first-time guests. For example, it’s known for providing excellent service in the following areas: Motorcyclists can buy and sell motorcycles, as well as get their motorcycles repaired and serviced by Bullet, Bajaj Pulsar, Mahindra, Imported Motorcycle Repair & Services, and Motorcycle Electronic Repair & Services.
Akra Phatak’s Ramjit Auto Services offers a comprehensive array of goods and services to meet the diverse needs of its clients. The employees at this restaurant are always friendly and ready to help. When you have any questions or concerns, they are more than happy to assist you. Use any of the available payment methods, such as cash, debit cards, American Express cards, credit cards, Paytm, or checks, to pay for the product or service you want.
What is the cost of a servicing at a bike shop?
Brake and gear adjustments, as well as basic lubrication and a tyre inflation check, will be performed during the bike service. A complete bike service is only required if your bike has been sitting in the garage for an extended period of time or if you ride on a daily basis.
When should a bicycle be repaired and how often?
Following this initial service, we recommend a major service every 12 months, followed by a brief checkup at the beginning of each season. However, it is important to note that it is dependent on how frequently you bike and in what kinds of situations you are riding in. Heavy use, rain, mud, and dust are all factors that contribute to more regular service.
What is General Service in a Bike?
Air filter cleaning, oil filter cleaning, carburetor cleaning, clutch play adjustment, chain adjustment and lubrication, brake shoes cleaning, and external foam wash are all included in the General Service. In addition to this, an oil change (to the manufacturer’s suggested grade or a comparable grade) will be performed at the same price.
What happens during the first bike service?
The first service on a two-wheeler should be performed after 500-700 kilometres or one month of use. During this service, the engine oil is changed, as well as the water system is serviced. This service will include an oil change as well as the replacement of other fluids.
Providing bike servicing is an integral aspect of owning and operating a bicycle, and it is completely worthwhile. Certainly, some money may be spent on bike servicing from time to time, but when we look at the big picture, it can save you a substantial amount of money as well as repair time over time. Service ensures and protects the condition of your bike, ensuring that all of its parts and components work and perform as they were intended.
Make sure you service your bike on a regular basis if you want to save money, gain performance, extend the life of your bike and its components, and most importantly, keep yourself and others safe. These are just a few pointers to keep in mind to make sure your bike is in peak operating condition and performs at its best. Remember to have it maintained by a professional on a regular basis, and to further safeguard it by purchasing comprehensive bike insurance that includes the appropriate add-ons.